Of all my children Willem is the one that we know we need to watch. He lives in his own little world, which would be amazing, and is always thinking about the next thing he could get up to. Yesterday we got to enjoy a visit to A&E due to a little mishap with a magnet.
Whilst attempting to get my washing out Willem suddenly started to cry, so I came in to see the problem and thought he said he had been sick. I called Rob downstairs and tried to make some sense out of the words come out of his mouth. Now, another thing about Willem is that when he cries he really goes for it, and he has a lovely habit of putting his whole fist in his mouth which cause a huge amount of drool to come out (nice).
At first we thought he was saying he had a penny in his mouth so we encouraged him to learn forward as I tried to look in to see of there was something there. Then he started talking about his throat so we figured he had swallowed whatever it was, but he was telling us it hurt. We were also having to stop him put his hands down his throat, whilst trying to calm him. Eventually he told us it was a magnet (great) and he showed which one it was. A nice small 1 cm square piece which he was calling a ‘plus cross’. I knew he would need to be checked out to make sure it wasn’t stuck anywhere, but was unsure if it was an A&E job or minor injuries. We’re very lucky to have one of each nearby. After a call to 111, they advised A&E in case it was stuck, off we went. Fortunately Roran had been walking around with a bag of books so I grabbed that as entertainment and my purse which had no money in.
We arrived at A&E and booked in, the receptionist was less than nice and with Willem bouncing around I felt a bit like a fraud but I knew he needed checking. We had about a 30 minute wait for the doctor, who was lovely. She spoke to Willem more than me, which I felt was a good thing as he was then happy to listen to her. She asked him simple things at first like name and age, then what happen. He backed up my story. The doctor then explained the concerns of swallowing magnet:
- It can get stuck in the oesophagus causing a blockage
- It could go down the windpipe, but he was breathing fine so no concern there
- If he had swallowed more then one they could be come attracted to each other. This could lead to them attaching and possible pinch some of his bowel which would possible die. I had not even considered that!
Willem assured her that he had only swallowed one and we were sent off for a X-ray.
After a little more waiting we went into for X-ray, I had quickly explain to Willem what would happen but didn’t think about the fact I, at 32 weeks pregnant, wouldn’t be allowed to stay at his side. The technician was lovely though and spoke to him about everything and that I was only on the other side of the window so he could see me. However, he was more fascinated by everything happening to even notice I had gone.
We headed back to waiting room for the results, which didn’t take long. The doctor called us through and took us in to the reception office. Here she showed Willem his X-ray and explained all the different parts such as his heart, lungs , spine, whilst showing him on his body where they are. He loved this and listened to everything she said. Then she showed us the white image of the magnet, sat nicely in his stomach, waiting to make it’s natural way through his body.
With this news we could head home knowing all should be okay. We were at the hospital just over and hour and a half, which was a nice surprise but I don’t hope to do it again anytime soon.